Early on Sunday morning, as I was changing her diaper, I tried to get Zora to get to agree to a "no crying policy" in honor of Mother's Day. That lasted, oh, about 5 seconds (those wipes are
cold, Mommy!).
With my romantic notions of an idyllic Mother's Day dashed, I welcomed Judith Newman's
review of Making Babies by Anne Enright in the Sunday NY Times. There were some gems in there, including: "The essential condition of motherhood isn’t pleasure or
wonderment or
even terror — although there’s plenty of that. The essential condition
is absurdity." And: "At one point, with her child
inconsolable, Enright spends time pondering
whom she hates most — her baby, her husband or herself. 'Who does the
baby hate?' 'Why is everyone screaming, now?'"
Is Mother's Day just about recognizing yourself as part of the percentage of people in the
world who can relate to these sentiments? I guess I'm in the club now! And have a growing and profound respect for those who have been in it for so long already (especially my own mom).
Just a few random shots of (Grand)Mom(s) and babies:
 |
| Katy with Zora and Meg/Oma with Noemi |
 |
| Sue/Grandma with Zora |
 |
| Buried under babies |
 |
| Feeding on the go! |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.